Monday, March 7, 2011

I Witnessed Something Today That I Never Would Have Thought About

I went down to the basement today at work to get the mail (I don't know why the fuck the mail room is in the basement, but whatever), and I was waiting on the elevator so I could take the mail up to the office on the 5th floor. The elevator door opened, and out ran a kid. The dad waved at him, but wasn't calling out for him (I didn't grab the kid because I thought he'd turn around and come back when his dad yelled). The dad stepped out trying to hold on to the elevator door so it wouldn't close, and I said, "Oh, I'll hold it for you!) He didn't seem to hear me, but a split second later he saw me holding it and he went to get his kid. As this was happening, another guy saw the kid and turned him around and he ran back to his dad into the elevator. This all happened much faster than it probably seems. When the kid ran back into the elevator, the dad signed "Thank you" to me.

He was deaf.

Can you imagine your kid running away from you and not being able to call out for him to get his attention? I mean, this happened inside with a few people around, but what if it happened outside in a crowd?

Also, this kid was barely 3 years old and already understood sign language. Wow.

I mean, I have zero desire to have children, but I still would be terrified if my kid ran away from me and I had no way to communicate with her if we didn't have eye contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment